Pets and Xylitol

Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in many candies, gums, and certain baked goods. It’s safe for human consumption, but it’s very toxic to our pets. Learn more here from a Fort Myers, FL veterinary professional.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning usually present themselves within 30 minutes of ingestion, and include depression, drooling, weakness, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without treatment, seizures may occur, and coma will follow. Eventually, a pet will die if the toxin isn’t removed from the system.

Treatment

If you see any of the above symptoms in your pet, rush them to your local veterinary emergency room. A veterinarian may induce vomiting to get the poison out of the stomach, or give activated charcoal to slow the poison’s absorption. Fluid therapy, electrolyte replacement, and other measures may need to be taken to return your pet to full health, and follow-up appointments will likely be scheduled to check on your pet’s recovery progress.

Preventing Poisoning

Of course, it’s far easier to prevent an episode of xylitol poisoning in the first place. Never leave candy, gum, or baked items out on countertops where pets could reach them.

Talk to your Fort Myers, FL veterinarian for more information on xylitol.