Chocolate and pets just don’t mix—all types of chocolate contain theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that can produce harmful symptoms in our animal companions. Here, your San Jose, CA veterinarian goes over the symptoms and treatment of chocolate poisoning, as well as how to prevent episodes.
The symptoms of chocolate poisoning in pets include depression and weakness, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and collapse. Without treatment, death can occur in pets who have ingested large amounts. Rush your pet to your local veterinary emergency room if you suspect that they’ve eaten chocolate.
Your veterinarian may flush the stomach or induce vomiting to rid your pet’s system of the toxic agents. Fluid therapy and electrolyte replacement may be necessary to return your pet to full health, and follow-up appointments may be scheduled to gauge your pet’s recovery.
Luckily, preventing an episode of chocolate poisoning is as simple as making sure your pet can’t get their paws on chocolate or any product containing chocolate. Don’t leave such items out on countertops or tables where pets may be able to swipe them down. Store them inside closed cabinets instead.
Talk to your vet clinic San Jose, CA for more information on chocolate poisoning.