Lily Poisoning in Cats

Did you know that lilies, commonly found in bouquets and floral arrangements, are highly toxic to cats? Here, your Ellicott City, MD veterinarian tells you more.

Symptoms

The symptoms of lily poisoning include loss of appetite, lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without treatment—seizures and death.

Certain varieties of lilies may only cause minor mouth irritation if eaten, but others can result in serious symptoms. The most dangerous types include the tiger, day, Easter, Japanese Show, stargazer, and wood lilies, among others.

Treatment

Early treatment for lily poisoning is imperative—if your cat has eaten a lily, rush them to your vets Ellicott City, MD. Your veterinarian may administer activated charcoal to stop the poison’s absorption, or induce vomiting to rid the body’s system of the toxin. Fluid therapy and supportive measures will follow. Several subsequent appointments at the vet’s office to gauge your cat’s recovery may be necessary.

Prevention

Of course, preventing an episode of lily poisoning is far easier than treating it. Since some cats are known plant-nibblers, take precautions: do your best to keep lilies out of your home entirely. If you must keep them inside, place them where cats won’t be able to gain access.