Onion Toxicity in Pets

Did you know that onions and foods related to them are very dangerous for our pets? Onions, as well as garlic, chives, shallots, and leeks, are members of the allium family of plants, and they’re very toxic to animals. Learn more here from a North Phoenix, AZ vet.

What are the Symptoms?

The symptoms of onion toxicity include drooling, weakness, discoordination, vomiting, diarrhea, pale gums, shortness of breath, and loss of appetite, among others. Ultimately, your pet may experience hemolytic anemia, characterized by a bursting of the red blood cells in your pet’s system.

How is Poisoning Treated?

When caught early, your veterinarian may flush your pet’s stomach or induce vomiting. Activated charcoal to stop the poison’s absorption may also be administered. IV fluid therapy and oxygen supplementation may be needed, and blood transfusions may be necessary in severe cases of poisoning.

How Do I Prevent Poisoning?

Prevent allium poisoning by restricting your pet’s access to onions, garlic, chives, leeks, and shallots or any foods that contain them. Don’t leave these products lying about where pets may be able to ingest them.

If you suspect poisoning in your pet, call your animal hospital North Phoenix, AZ immediately for further instructions.