Pets and Chocolate

As you probably know, pets and chocolate don’t mix well. In fact, it’s one of the most common pet poisons out there! Learn more here from your Olathe, KS veterinary professional.

Why is Chocolate Poisonous?

Chocolate of all types—dark, semi-sweet, white, baking chocolate, powdered, etc.—contains caffeine and theobromine, chemicals that are harmful to pets and cause the symptoms of poisoning associated with chocolate ingestion. In addition, products containing chocolate like cookies or cakes are equally dangerous.

What are the Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning?

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without treatment, a pet may suffer central nervous system depression and even death if the poison isn’t removed from the system.

What Do I Do if My Pet Eats Chocolate?

If you see or suspect that your animal companion has consumed chocolate, rush them to your local veterinary emergency room. The stomach may need to be flushed to rid your pet’s body of the toxin, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption. Fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive measures may be needed as your pet recovers.

Call your Olathe, KS vet to find out about more pet toxins.