Chocolate Poisoning in Cats and Dogs

Chocolate is very bad for our animal companions. Chocolate of all types—milk, dark, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, white chocolate, etc.—contains theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that aren’t good for animals. Learn more here from a Hinesville, GA vet.

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning typically include restlessness, increased thirst and panting, vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination, a high heart rate, and in some cases muscle spasms and seizures. Symptoms can take several hours to develop, and the severity of symptoms will depend on the amount and type of chocolate ingested, as well as the size and age of your pet.

Treatment

Your veterinarian may administer medications to induce vomiting in order to have your pet expel the toxin from their stomach, or activated charcoal may be given to stop the toxin’s absorption in the system. Supportive methods like IV fluid therapy will likely be needed, and your pet may require an extended hospital stay of up to several days.

Prevention

Of course, it’s far easier to prevent an episode of chocolate poisoning rather than deal with it after it has occurred. Never leave chocolate of any kind within reach of your pet.

Ask your vet Hinesville, GA professional for more information.