Pets and Chocolate Poisoning

You’re probably already aware that chocolate isn’t a safe thing to feed your pet. In fact, it’s one of the most common and dangerous pet toxins out there! Here, your Oshawa, ON veterinarian tells you more.

Symptoms

All types of chocolate—dark, milk, semi-sweet, white, baking chocolate, etc.—can poison a pet who ingests too much. That’s because all chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that cause pets to experience symptoms like lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and more.

Treatment

If you see the above symptoms in your pet, or see them chow down on chocolate, rush them to your closest veterinary emergency room. Your pet’s stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption in your pet’s stomach. As your pet recovers, supportive measures like oxygen supplementation and fluid replacement may be necessary.

Preventing Poisoning

Fortunately, preventing poisoning by chocolate is as easy as restricting your pet’s access to all chocolates or foods that contain it. Store such items inside the refrigerator or closed cabinets, where your pet won’t be able to gain access.

Want more information on chocolate poisoning in pets? Consult your pet clinic Oshawa, ON office a call today.