Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs and Cats

You’re likely aware that chocolate is very bad for our animal companions. In fact, it’s one of the most common pet toxins out there! Your Plano, TX veterinarian tells you more below:

Why is Chocolate Poisonous?

Chocolate of all types—milk, dark, white, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, etc.—contains caffeine as well as a chemical called theobromine, neither of which are safe for animals. Even small amounts can result in symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, and even death if a pet goes untreated.

What Do I Do If My Pet Has Eaten Chocolate?

If you see or suspect that your pet has ingested a chocolate product, take them to your nearest veterinary emergency facility immediately. There, the stomach may need to be flushed to rid the system of the toxin, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the poison’s absorption. Many pets will require fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, or other supportive measures as they recover.

How Can I Prevent Poisoning?

Preventing poisoning by chocolate is easy—restrict your pet’s access to chocolate and any products that contain it. Store these foods inside cabinets or the refrigerator.

Want more advice on your pet and chocolate? Call your Vet Clinic Plano, TX.