Xylitol and Your Cat or Dog

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s a very dangerous pet toxin, and it might be in your home right now! It’s an artificial sugar used in many candies and gums—learn more below from an Oshawa, ON veterinary professional.

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of xylitol can appear in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion, depending on how much your pet has eaten. They include lethargy, drooling, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and collapse, and even death without treatment.

Treatment

Get your pet to the nearest emergency room if you think they’ve ingested a product that contains xylitol. The stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to stop the poison from further absorbing into the stomach lining. Pets might require fluid and electrolyte replacement, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive therapies to recover fully.

Prevention Tips

Of course, you’ll want to prevent xylitol poisoning completely rather than deal with it after the fact. Store candy, gum, baked goods, and all other sweet treats inside cabinets or closed containers where pets can’t get their paws on them.

Want to know more about xylitol and its effects on your pet? Call your vets Oshawa, ON office.