Your Pet and Chocolate Treats

Chocolate is one of the most common pet poisons out there. It’s also one of the most harmful! Here, your vet Omaha, NE gives you a crash course in the symptoms and treatment of chocolate poisoning, as well as tips on preventing an episode of poisoning entirely.

Symptoms

A pet who ingests too much chocolate will exhibit symptoms like drooling, lethargy, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without treatment, a pet can experience collapse, coma, or even death. All types of chocolate—milk, dark, semi-sweet, white, baking chocolate, etc.—can cause these symptoms.

Treatment

A pet who has ingested chocolate should be rushed to the nearest veterinary emergency room. There, the stomach may be flushed to rid the system of the toxin, or the patient may be given activated charcoal to stop the poison’s absorption. Supportive measures like oxygen supplementation and fluid therapy might be needed as a pet recovers.

Preventing Poisoning

Of course, preventing chocolate poisoning in the first place is preferred to dealing with an episode after the fact. All it takes is keeping all chocolate, as well as foods that contain chocolate, inside closed containers, cabinets, or the refrigerator.

Want more pet-safety tips? Call your veterinarian Omaha, NE.