Xylitol Toxicity in Your House Pet

Have you ever heard of xylitol? It’s an artificial sweetener used in many candies, gums, and certain baked goods. It’s very toxic to our cats and dogs! Learn more below from a vet in North Dallas, TX.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can present themselves within as little as 30 minutes after your pet ingests the product containing the toxin. Symptoms include lethargy, drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered quickly—seizures, coma, and even death.

Treatment

If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested a product containing xylitol, rush them to the nearest veterinary emergency room. Your pet’s stomach may be flushed, or vomiting may be induced, to rid the system of the remaining poison. For severe cases of poisoning, fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and even blood transfusions may be needed.

Prevention

Clearly, it’s easier and safer to prevent xylitol poisoning entirely. This is as easy as tightly restricting your pet’s access to any and all candies, gum, baked goods, and other products that contain xylitol. Store these foods in closed cabinets, containers, or the refrigerator so that pets can’t reach.

To learn more about xylitol, contact your veterinary clinic North Dallas, TX today.