Aspirin Poisoning in Your Dog or Cat

Did you know that aspirin is a dangerous pet poison? NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Advil and Motrin, can harm a pet easily! Learn more here from an vet Oshawa, ON.

Cause of Poisoning

NSAIDs block cyclooxygenase enzymes (COX enzymes) that cause pain and inflammation, resulting in the user feeling less pain. However, if COX enzymes are blocked to an extreme degree, problems occur: stomach-lining damage and reduced blood flow to the kidneys are two examples.

Symptoms

Too much of an NSAID like common aspirin can cause a pet to experience lethargy, increased urination and thirst, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea (with possible blood in the vomit or feces), and—without treatment—seizures, collapse, and death.

Treatment and Prevention

Rush a pet to the emergency room if you see or suspect that they’ve ingested NSAIDs. Induced vomiting or stomach lavage may be necessary for pets in the early stages of poisoning, while fluid replacement or a blood transfusion may be needed for serious cases.

Prevent aspirin poisoning by keeping all medications in a locked medicine cabinet, where pets can’t reach. Talk to your veterinarian Oshawa, ON for more information on medicines that may be able to harm your pet.