Dogs and Xylitol

Xylitol is an artificial sugar found in many candies, gums, and other sweet treats. It’s highly toxic to pets! While xylitol can poison both cats and dogs, our canine friends are more likely to chomp down on whatever morsel they find. Learn more about xylitol poisoning in this article from a vet Marietta, GA.

Symptoms

The symptoms of xylitol toxicity can appear in as little as 30 minutes after ingestion. They include drooling, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea, and—without treatment—seizures, collapse, and even death.

Treatment

A pet suffering from xylitol poisoning should be rushed to the emergency room, where the stomach may be flushed or activated charcoal may be given to slow the toxin’s absorption. As a pet recovers, fluid replacement, oxygen supplementation, and other measures might be necessary.

Preventing Poisoning

As is the case with every poisoning situation, prevention is a far better option than treatment! Prevent xylitol poisoning by never leaving sweet treats of any kind on tables or countertops where your pet could reach them. Instead, store candy, gum, and baked goods in closed containers or cabinets.

Want to know more about xylitol poisoning in your dog? Call your veterinary clinic Marietta, GA today for help.