Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

Even if you’ve never heard of xylitol, you’ve probably bought products that contain it. Xylitol is an artificial sugar used in many sugarless gums, candies, toothpaste, and certain baked goods. It’s highly toxic to dogs! Learn more here from a veterinarian Sugar Land, TX.

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning can manifest in as little as 30 minutes or less after ingestion. They include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered promptly—seizures, coma, and even death. If you know or suspect your dog has ingested something sweetened with xylitol, rush them to the emergency room!

Treating Poisoning

A dog’s stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be administered to slow the rate of absorption in the stomach. As a pet recovers from xylitol poisoning, supportive therapies like fluid replacement or even anti-seizure medication might be needed.

Preventing the Issue

Clearly, you’ll want to prevent an episode of xylitol poisoning ahead of time rather than deal with it after it’s already happened. Do this by storing all sweet treats, as well as toothpaste and other xylitol-sweetened goods, in closed cabinets where pets can’t reach.

Learn more by calling your vet Sugar Land, TX.