Chocolate Poisoning in Pets

Chocolate, as you may know, is a very dangerous pet poison. It’s also one of the most common human foods to harm pets. Learn more about chocolate toxicity in this article from a Roanoke, VA veterinarian.

What Makes Chocolate Dangerous?

Chocolate of all types—milk, semi-sweet, dark, white, powdered versions, etc.—contains varying levels of caffeine and theobromine, chemicals that don’t agree with our animal friends. Of course, since chocolate smells and tastes sweet, it may attract pets easily.

What are the Symptoms of Poisoning?

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning can include lethargy, drooling, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t administered in time—seizures, coma, and even death. Any pet who is known or suspected of having eaten chocolate should be taken to the veterinary emergency room.

How is Chocolate Poisoning Treated?

A pet’s stomach may need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to slow the absorption of the toxin in the stomach. A pet recovering from chocolate poisoning might need fluid therapy and other supportive measures.

Prevent chocolate poisoning by storing sweet treats of all kinds in areas where pets can’t reach. Call your veterinary clinic Roanoke, VA for even more great safety tips.