Onion Toxicity and Dogs

Onions are quite common in the culinary world; you might have some in your kitchen right now. But they’re very dangerous for dogs! Learn more about onion toxicity and your dog in this article from a vet Washington DC.

What Makes Onions Poisonous?

Onions, as well as similar foods in the allium family like shallots, garlic, chives, leeks, and scallions, contain sulfur compounds that are toxic for dogs. It’s possible for symptoms like lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and worse to occur if your dog eats too much of these foods!

What Do I Do If My Dog Eats an Onion?

If you know or suspect that your dog has ingested onions or a related food, take them to the emergency room. Be aware that symptoms may be delayed for hours or days after initial ingestion. Your pet’s stomach might need to be flushed, or activated charcoal may be given to slow the poison’s absorption in the stomach. The sooner treatment is given, the better!

How Do I Prevent the Problem?

Prevent onion poisoning by storing onions and related foods in containers or cabinets where pets can never reach them.

To learn more about toxic foods, contact your veterinarians Washington, DC.