Why is Chocolate So Bad for Pets?

Almost everyone knows that pets shouldn’t be given chocolate. It’s one of the most dangerous human foods out there for our animal friends! Learn more below as your veterinarian Farmers Branch, TX gives you a crash course on chocolate poisoning in pets.

Symptoms of Poisoning

Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, stimulant chemicals that are very bad for animals. Symptoms include weakness, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—without quick treatment—coma and even death if the amount of chocolate ingested is large enough.

Treatment

Rush your pet to the emergency room if you know or even suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate. (This goes for all types of chocolate, including dark, milk, semi-sweet, white, etc.) The stomach may need to be flushed or vomiting might be included to get rid of the toxin. As a pet recovers from chocolate poisoning, fluid replacement and other supportive measures might be necessary.

Preventing the Issue

Pet owners will want to prevent chocolate poisoning ahead of time whenever possible. Do so by storing any and all chocolate in closed cabinets, containers, or the refrigerator so that your pet can’t gain access.

Want to learn more about pet toxins at home? Call your vet clinic Farmers Branch, TX.