Xylitol Poisoning in Your Dog

You might have a product containing xylitol in your home right now, even if you’ve never heard of it. It’s an artificial sugar used to sweeten many candies, gums, baked goods, and household items like toothpaste. And it’s highly toxic to dogs! Learn more here from your vets Middletown, DE. 

Symptoms of Poisoning

The symptoms of xylitol poisoning include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea, and—if your pet doesn’t get treatment quickly—seizures, coma, and even death. If you know or suspect your dog has eaten something made with xylitol, rush them to the veterinary emergency room.

Treatment

Your pet’s stomach might need to be flushed, and activated charcoal is sometimes given to stop the absorption of the toxin in your dog’s gut. A pet recovering from xylitol poisoning may need fluid therapy, oxygen supplementation, and other supportive measures to return to full health. As with any case of poisoning, quick treatment is of the essence! 

How to Prevent Poisoning

Keep any and all products containing xylitol out of your pet’s reach in closed containers or cabinets. Keep your vet’s emergency number on hand just to be safe. 

Call your veterinary clinic in Middletown, DE to learn more about xylitol poisoning in dogs.