Chocolate Toxicity in Pets

Most people know that chocolate and pets don’t mix. The truth is that it’s one of the most common and dangerous pet poisons found in many homes! Here, your vet clinic Bend, OR gives you a crash course in chocolate toxicity and your cat or dog. 

Symptoms

The symptoms of chocolate toxicity may be immediate or they may have a delayed effect, which is one of the reasons it’s so dangerous. Symptoms include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and—if treatment isn’t given fast—coma and even death.

Treatment Method

Rush your pet to the veterinary emergency room if you know or suspect that they’ve ingested chocolate or something that contains chocolate. The stomach may need to be flushed, and activated charcoal is sometimes given to stop the toxin from absorbing further into the system. A pet recovering from chocolate poisoning might need supportive therapy like a fluid replacement, and a lengthy hospital stay in some cases. 

Prevention Tips

Prevent chocolate poisoning by keeping any and all sweet treats out of your pet’s reach. It’s that simple! Try storing sweets in cabinets or the refrigerator rather than leaving them on countertops. 

Contact your veterinarians Bend, OR to learn more about chocolate poisoning in pets.